Sunday, September 26, 2021

Bike lane

I've been biking for 12 years now.  Yeah, I started in 2009.  At that time, there were no bike lanes yet in Metro Manila except in Marikina City. 

Most road users despise bikers being on the road, as they are considered hazards.  In return, bikers are clamoring to "share the road".

Then, last year, the pandemic came into the picture, which resulted to difficulty in traveling due to no or limited public transportation.  Commuters resorted to bike commuting and their number has increased a thousandfold.

The government has responded by designating bike lanes in most major and some secondary roads.

To date, the overall length of the bike lanes in the entire Metro Manila is 313 kilometers with a width of 1.5 to 3 meters based on the road's configuration.  In Quezon City alone, where I usually bike, the length is 93 kilometers.

Despite the lanes, sadly, some motorists and pedestrians still don't respect them.  You can still see vehicles parked or waiting on them, motor cylists use them too to overtake, and pedestrians think they're sidewalks and waiting lanes for transport.  In some lanes, there are barricades, fixed and movable, to prevent non-bikers to use them.

I'm a bike commuter to work too.  And, I benefit from the bike lanes.  They make my ride a breeze, easier and safer.  My route is Novaliches to Makati (via Commonwealth - Quezon Ave. - EDSA - Buendia Ave. and v.v.  The distance is about about 28 kms. with a travel time of 2 hours, one way.  I either use my On One 29er mountain bike or the Dahon Speed Uno folding bike.  The building allows bike parking at the basement for free.  So, if I bike commute, I save about P250.00.

No comments: