Thursday, September 16, 2021

A tear in my tire

A tear fell when I saw the tear in my bike's rear tire.

 A tear fell when I checked that the cost is P1,800.

The tires are the most abused parts of a bicycle due to constant rolling and braking contact and friction with the road.

The common trouble is a flat tire due to a puncture or two caused by sharp objects, like nail, staple wire, splinter, wire, etc., or even under-inflation.  To avoid a flat, a tire liner can be installed.  But, I don't use this.  Instead, I bring spare tube to quickly change the pricked one and do the patching at home.  Actually, I bring 2 spare tubes and patch kit in the event of multiple flats.

The torn tire is a Maxxis Minion DHR II, 29x2.30.  I installed it 2 years and 5 months ago.  The tread is still more than 50%, good for about a year more.

I noticed the tear at the bead, about an inch, after my morning ride today.

It's good I still have my old bald tires, which I will use temporarily.

RIDE SAFE!


No comments: