Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Losing (Private) Rhyan

Rhyan was a beloved nephew!  Unfortunately, we lost him just recently due to Covid 19. 

He was my closest nephew, perhaps, due to geography.  We're located in the same city (Quezon City), while my other nephews and nieces are either in up north in Isabela or down under in Australia.

On our wedding day, he was our ring bearer.  He just turned 2 then and his Mama, the ring bearer's bearer, guided him during the march toward the altar.

Thereafter, we sometimes borrowed him from his mother on weekends and went places as if he was our firstborn.

Reciprocally, on their wedding day, I was one of their principal sponsors.  At first, when he offered it to me, I didn't accept.  I jokingly told him I wanted to be the ring bearer too just like he was to our wedding.

Rhyan had also worked abroad.  But, when he's back home, we found ways to see each other and bond through family gathering and outings.

I also influenced him to try mountain biking.  And, last year, he bought his bike and we had been planning of biking together.  The plans,however, never left the drawing board.

In the past 2 months, we had been together with our families 3 times celebrating 4 occasions.  First, in June at Sun Sea Moon Resort, Morong, Bataan for the joint celebrations of my birthday and their wedding anniversary.  Second, same month, in their place in Angeles City for her daughter's graduation as Salutatorian. (Obviously, she inherited her mother's intelligence.  But, I whispered to him, if she got yours, she could have been a Valedictorian, I mean, Balik-torian).  Last, in July, at Bale Matua, Angeles City for my wife's birthday.  As usual, he was the life of the party.  He'd never run out of jokes.  Also, we were good drinking buddies.  With him, the drinks kept on flowing and the "pulutan" too.  As in "like father like son, we're "like uncle like nephew".

Then, after a few days, came the devastating news of his confinement and, shortly, of his shocking demise.  My family, especially my wife, was in utter disbelief!  So soon!  He's only 43 years old

Due to the stricter quarantine status, his funeral service was held online.  Hence, relatives and friends, who could not make it physically due to movement restrictions and, particularly, those from abroad and remote places, had the opportunity to join too.

We are just waiting for the right and safe time for his final inurnment and say our last farewell!

I wish the title of this blog was "Saving Beloved Rhyan"!


2 comments:

suituapui said...

Oh dear! So sad. God bless his soul, may he rest in peace.

Tom said...

Keep safe always! There are news that some friends, office mates have already been positive too.